The verdict is in, the New Gurugrammers made the first Raahgiri day of New Gurugram (Gurgaon) a monumental success!!
It was an event filled with fun, laughter and excitement. As per Raahgiri official facebook post , approximately 5000 people came to celebrate this mega event.
People from all residential societies like DLF New Town Heights of sector 86-90-91, DLF Sky Court, DLF Regal Garden, DLF Primus, Bestech Park View Ananda, Vipul Lavanya, Mapsko Casabella, Mapsko Royal Ville and many more neighboring societies including those from Vatika INXT were present. Senior citizens, Young women – men of all ages and kids were all enjoying themselves and taking part in all the activities and learning about the environment.
Table of content:
- Event highlights
- Media / Internet coverage
- Message of the day
- What are the New Gurugrammers saying about the event?
We encourage you to read the whole article and check out all the pictures. You can also click/tap on the picture to open in a larger view.
In the first raahgiri day of New Gurugram, Approximately 5,000 people attended the event, making it the BIGGEST gathering of New Gurugram so far.
Let’s begin with a round of applause for everyone who helped set up this magnificent event. We thank the Raahgiri Organizing Team for their consent and support. Special appreciation for all the volunteers from the United Association of New Gurugram (UANG) for putting many efforts together and bringing the mega event of raahgiri to New Gurugram. We also thank the police staff, DLF staff and everyone else who participated. This includes our bus drivers, cleaners, tent managers, sound technicians and many more people who worked hard to make this event a success.
Even before the sun rose, the team of DLF staff and Raahgiri volunteers reached the site. Together they made the location ready for setting up the tents and stands for the first raahgiri in New Gurugram.
The event started at 6 am, with thumping music. It was a signal to the world that New Gurugram’s first Raahgiri day celebration had begun.
Stages were set up at both ends of the street and uninterrupted energy was flowing between the two poles.
Some of the highlights of New Gurugram’s first Raahgiri Day were –
- They say Yoga is not about touching your toes, but what you learn on the way down. All the people who participated in this session captured this spirit and its essence. Students of Pranavananda International School and Mr.Khem Chandra encouraged hundreds of people to begin their day with peace, optimism and fitness. We hope that this session turns into a lifelong habit and motivation for everyone.
- Bhangra performed by Arvinder Pal Singh Sahni with the ‘Gabru Dance Group’ and Zumba by ‘MDFC – My Dance & Fitness Centre‘ was an instant hit. Everyone danced their heart out to the pumping music. From kids to senior citizens, nobody was able to resist the infectious energy of dance and music.
- Skaters and cyclists finally got the opportunity to reclaim the streets. Cycling and skating without the hassle of any motorized vehicles was a dream come true. Kids enjoyed running on the streets with their friends.
- Street and water painting events added rich colours to the event. All our little Picassos made impressions and showcased their talent.
- E-Scooter courtesy ‘ Mobycy ‘, were available for everyone to try. This innovative electric scooter fascinated people of all ages.
- Cosmos Eye Care set up an eye checkup camp where people got free consultations.
- Autism camp educated and counselled the people about Autism. This was a very informative session and raised much-needed awareness about Autism.
- Various other stalls were set up by Gurugram Fine Arts Academy, DLF Sky Court, Study Point, etc.
- Nukkad Naatak, performed by talented kids of Dlf New Town Heights – Sector 86, showcased the ill effects of pollution.
- Ipsaa Day Care organized a poster making competition on the topic – ‘Earth Day’. Their live mascot was the centre of attraction for all. Both adults and kids were all smiles getting themselves clicked with the mascot.
- DPS Sector 84 performed a street play and distributed Saplings to encourage plantation.
- Pranavananda International School displayed the importance of Self Defense for Boys and Girls.
- Senior Citizen’s Laughter Club from Dlf New Town Heights Sector 86 encouraged everyone to avail the benefits of a hearty laugh.
- ‘Voting Tau’ came and motivated people to register themselves in the voters’ list and cast their vote in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.
- Food, water, and refreshing naariyal paani were also available to recharge all the active New Gurugrammers.
The entire event ensured loads of fun and laughter. Good Health and Saving the environment was the mantra of the day.
Adults of all age groups got a chance to relive their childhood days. Meeting fellow residents of neighbouring societies and participating together in various events brought great joy and promoted harmony.
Media / Internet coverage
The message of the day
“Environment” was the word of the event. Nukkad Naatak conceptualized by Mrs Hemayani Thappa showcased the ill effects of pollution. Kids from different age group came together to raise an alarm on environment degradation. Everyone was awestruck by their performance.
DPS sector-84 school showcased their concern about environmental degradation and influenced everyone through a street play to take care of the environment. DPS Sector 84 distributed Saplings to encourage plantation. Everyone appreciated pollution and traffic-free environment and in their hearts promised themselves to take better care of our environment as it does so much more for us in return.
What are the New Gurugrammers saying about the event?
Raahgiri Day was a special event. Not only because this was the first of its kind event for New Gurugram. Raahgiri as a concept is essential and impactful in our lives. We all get nostalgic about our childhood, how much time we used to spend playing sports, enjoying as a group. Seeing all the kids getting to play without any inhibitions was a sight to behold.
“Give wings to your imaginations, Paint the streets with your Art.The stages were set, the DJ was live. For once the road belonged to us and the children to vent out their talents, to be seen by everyone.This is Rahgiri, the initiative to teach us that the roads belongs to not only vehicles, it can also have a use to mingle with people, follow your passions and have fun in a safe and protected environment.”
Sanjay Singhvi Sanjay Singhvi, Resident of Vipul Lavanya, Sector 81, Gurugram.
“Performing in front of so many viewers was a nice experience and increased my confidence. According to me, we performed very well and it has encouraged a lot. Thus would like to perform next time also.”
Samyak Srivastava Resident of Dlf New Town Heights, Sector 86, Gurugram.
“What an amazing start to our Sunday. What I enjoyed the most was the spirit of all ages in having fun , traffic free fresh air while making an attempt to stay fit. The event was well organized. It could have been better with more activities at the two extreme ends of its limits.There was a huge amount of photography and selfie-graphy going on everywhere. Every person had a smile on the face.”
Herman OberoiResident of Mapsko Casa Bella, sector 82, Gurugram
“We enjoyed a lot in performing Nukkad Naatak at raahgiri. Also it was very different experience to help our mother in the script as well.”
Ariv and Atin thappaResident of Dlf New Town Heights, Sector 86, Gurugram
“The first ever Raahgiri organised in New Gurgaon on 21st April was an instant hit. The students of DPS SEC-84 showcased their concern on environmental degradation by way of a street play which was appreciated by all spectators. Raahgiri is a wonderful initiative. Looking forward to participating in different events and make our little contribution in creating awareness.”
Yash Pasricha Administrator DPS Sector 84, Gurugram.
“It was a great event. After a long time we had wonderful morning where everyone really enjoyed, specially dance and music. People were very enthusiastic and energetic specially women and kids.
Vijeta Krishnan Resident of Dlf New Town Heights, Sector 90, Gurugram.
“Raahgiri Day has come as a gift to the residents of New Gurugram. The wide roads were finally opened for its residents who welcomed it with wide open arms. While we saw an overwhelming participation’s from all age groups, a dedicated space/stage for the Senior Citizens would have made it more inclusive. #citiesforpeople #sharetheroad #streetsforall”
Shibashish Rudra Vipul Lavanya Apartments, Sector 81, Gurugram
“First Raahgiri conducted in New Gurugram was a wonderful event. People of all ages actively participated in various activities like Zumba, Yoga, dancing, cycling etc. The idea of”Voting Tau” and “comment board” was good, and the environment provided by the organisers was safe and child friendly. I would like to suggest that there should be some more games and competitions for different age groups and few more food and water stalls along with banners for directions and help.”
Neeraj AwasthiResident of Dlf Regal Garden, Sector 90, Gurugram
“It was a cheerful day, full of fun on first Rajagiri day on this Sunday celebrated at sector 86/90. It was simply marvelous being part of it.”
Surjeet Singh Kalsi / Balvinder Kaur Kalsi Resident of Dlf New Town Heights, Sector 91,Gurugram
“It was a wonderful initiative and the response is as such that everyone is waiting for something like this to happen. I was mesmerized with kids enthusiasm and performance. It was actually above my expectations. All though I would be more happy if nth86 kids performance would have been covered in newspaper also.”
Hemayani Thappa Resident of Dlf New Town Heights, Sector 86, Gurugram.
“The New Gurugram residents were introduced to a fantastic experience of Raahgiri on 21st April. It was a pleasant Sunday when thousands of residents of all ages came together participate in variety of health & lifestyle activities. The event was very well organised and left the residents asking for more. Me and my family eagerly look forward to the next edition.”
KP Vaidyanathan & Subha VaidyanathanResident of Dlf New Town Heights, Sector 91, Gurugram
“Raahgiri, began in Gurugram in 2013, has so far been held across more than 18 states and more than 70 cities in the country. Raahgiri day in New Gurgaon was fantastic participation by the people of New Gurgaon. Let’s keep the spirit of unity of New Gurugram people ,a platform for fun and social bonding and not encourage the people for other motive. A big thanks to all participants to make this event successful.”
Dinesh YadavResident of Mapsko Royale ville, Sector 82, Gurugram
The day belonged to us, the residents of New Gurugram. Everyone came out to enjoy a pollution-free Sunday morning with their family, friends and neighbours.