The General Elections begin from 11th April 2019. It is every Indian Citizen’s right and responsibility to cast their vote. To exercise our franchise, every voter requires a Voter ID Card as per the Indian Constitution. You can choose a government that would work for the development and welfare of the nation. To read more, you can visit our previous blog post on Election Announcement.
This guide will inform you about all the things you need to know about the Voter ID Card in a clear and simple manner.
Why you should be applying for a Voter ID and What are its Benefits?
- To be able to use your democratic rights and be eligible to cast vote for the government of your choice.
- Voter ID Card serves as an important and valid identity proof.
- You can submit your Voter ID Card for all legal processes in India that need an identity proof. For example, a driver’s license, loans, banking, passport, etc.
How to Apply for a Voter ID Card – online, offline, or semi-online?
1. Online Method – Most convenient and simple.
Step 1: Visit National Voters’ Service Portal’s (NSVP) official website and fill ‘Form 6’ if you are applying online for registration of a new voter.
Step 2: Enter your details in the form and upload all the required documents.
Step 3: Click on the Submit button. After submission of Form 6, you will receive an email on the address that you provided. The email will have a link to check the status of your Online Application.
Additionally, you can click here to see your Online Voter ID Card Application Status. You will have to enter the reference id you would have received in the email. After validation of your documents and details, you will receive a confirmation email. You can also check the addition of your name to the Electoral Roll by visiting the Electoral Search Page of NSVP. The Voter ID card is generally received within a month of receiving your confirmation, although this time is only tentative and not fixed.
2. Offline and Semi – Online Method
|Offline||Semi – Online|
|Step 1: Visit the nearest State Election Office and request for ‘Form 6’.||Step 1: Visit National Voters’ Service Portal’s (NSVP)official website and download ‘Form 6’.|
|Step 2: Fill the form and provide all the details along with the required documents.||Step 2: Print the form and fill all the details along with the required documents.|
|Step 3: Submit the completed form to the Election Office near you by post or in person.||Step 3: Submit the form at an Election Office near you by post or in person.|
Additionally, you can find the Link to Official Sites of Chief Electoral Officers of 36 States/UT by [clicking here]. The contact details of all districts of Haryana state are in this link [click here].
After validation and approval of your documents and details, you will receive a confirmation email. You can confirm your addition to the Electoral Roll by visiting the Electoral Search Page of NSVP [click here].
You can expect to receive your Voter ID card within a month of receiving your confirmation, although this time is only tentative and not fixed.
What are the Documents required for Voter ID Application?
- Your Passport Size Photograph
- Valid Age Proof – Birth Certificate, Mark sheet of class 10th, 8th or 5th, Indian Passport, PAN card, Driving License, Aadhar letter issued by UIDAI
- Valid Address Proof – Indian Passport, Driving License, Bank/Kisan/Post Office Current Passbook, Ration Card, Income Tax Assessment Order, Rent Agreement, Water/Telephone/Gas Connection/Electricity Bill, Post/letter/mail delivered through Indian Postal Department
- In online application, the supported document types are – .jpg , .png, .bmp, .jpeg of max size of 2MB ( .pdf are not supported)
- Only one photo, age proof and address proof are required for online application but it is always recommended to keep 2 or more documents of each type for the offline application.
What are the Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Voter ID Card in India?
– Applicant must be an Indian Citizen.
– Applicant must be above 18 years of age.
– Applicant must have a permanent address.